2015 Highlights of Lotus Light Charity Society Community and Charitable Activities:
Through Caring and Learning We Help to Build a better Tomorrow
Under the guidance of president Master Lian Tzi, 2015 has been an extraordinary year for the Lotus Light Charity Society: from initiating the Hot Meal for the Homeless Program to support our low income community in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver to fundraising for the international Nepal Earthquake Relief campaign, the Charity is actively involved in its humanitarian missions to help the needy. Here are some of the community and charitable highlights of Lotus Light Charity Society in 2015, under Master Lian Tzi’s leadership.
- The Charity started a new project Hot Meal for the Homeless in 2015, to provide warm meals to the homeless community at Oppenheimer Park of DTES once a month through 2015 and beyond. The project has received praise from the community and support from local restaurants and individual sponsors.
- Lotus Light Charity Society responded rapidly to the April 25, 2015 Nepal Earthquake, launching the Nepal Earthquake Relief campaign raising funds at supermarkets and shopping centres. The Charity donated $5,000 to support the Canadian Medical Assistance Teams’ (CMAT) Nepal Earthquake Relief Campaign to establish remote clinics in affected areas in Nepal.
- The LLCS 2015 Annual Winter Charity Drive donated and distributed over 1,000 care packages and 350 sleeping bags and over 20,000 items of toiletry supplies to low income residents and homeless throughout the lower mainland, through collaboration with community partners (Vancouver Police Department Homeless Outreach Program, BC Ambulance Services, Vancouver City Homeless HEAT program, Burnaby City Homelessness Task Force, BC Ministry of Social Development / Integration and Outreach Program, Assertive Outreach Team Vancouver, Covenant House, BC SOS Children Village, Helping Spirit Lodge, Downtown Women Center, and Progressive Housing Society. )
- LLCS donated a total of 8,000 lbs of rice in 2015 to the Greater Vancouver Society in its Annual Rice Donation program to support the low income families in our community.
- LLCS Children’s Nutrient Backpack program supported low income families in our local community with weekly donations of grocery products to the Strathcona Community Centre for distribution.
- The LLCS Annual Scholarship program in 2015 provided financial support to 6 post-secondary students who are outstanding in academic performance and actively involved in community volunteer works.
- The 2015 LLCS Mu-Shu Lee Memorial Scholarships were awarded to 6 outstanding students in Education, Social Services, Pharmacy or Medical Science at the University of British Columbia.
- To care for the welfare of our children, LLCS donated a large amount of household items to the BC SOS Children Village, and launched a special Toy Drive to welcome Syrian refugee families to the Low Mainland arriving in 2015 ( and 2016).
Link to PDF of LLCS Highlights 2015: download